Sunday, May 5, 2013

Tips for Work-Family Balance



I often find myself dealing with guilt. It seems that balancing the responsibilities of work and family, always ends in something or someone getting the “short stick” or bad end of the deal. Whether it is my son or my work that acquires that short stick, I find myself feeling pressured at being both a better parent and worker. I am not alone in this. A study from 2008 reported that 75% of employees felt they did not spend enough time with their children[1]. That is an astounding number!
What can we do to help parents ease their guilt and achieve a work-family balance that works for them?

  1. Educating ourselves on work-family issues
  2. Advocating for family friendly policies within organizations, community, and the culture at large
  3. Taking a moment to check out my Work and Family brochure 

                                

                   
HERE ARE A FEW TIPS HIGHLIGHTED IN THE BROCHURE:

  • Make time for fun activities (a trip to the park, zoo, family game night, etc.)
  • Let go of guilt
  • Plan regular date nights
  • Establish a morning routine
  • Get organized! (chore charts, family calendar, plan meals and lunches, etc.)
  • Discuss flexible hours and other work-life policies with your boss
  • Use notes, texting, Skype or other tools to stay connected during the day
  • Cut out time wasters (less TV, gossip, social media checking, etc.)
  • MAKE TIME FOR YOU!


*The brochure is also listed on the “Family Resources” tab with other helpful resources and tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment